Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Another Kaweah Day!

We slipped away from work for a little Hospital Rock trip - fun early season run. Water level was nice (4.7 on the Zero to Sixty Gauge) and the temps and views were spectacular.

Eric on the warm-up

Rebecca Mid-Flight


Rebecca Navigating Split Falls in the 420 Gorge

Rebecca on Table Rock Falls

Gino Setting the Table

If you have not done this run, it is a Southern Sierra Classic. At decent flows, it's got lots of fun class IV drops with plenty of class V sprinkled in. Great moves, gorges, and a few nasty holes. The best part is that it just keeps coming; no flatwater sections or long distances between good drops.
Rebecca on the Rock-Star Boof

Of course the run culminates in Zero to Sixty, which drops almost 25 ft from top to bottom. The lead in is a little tricky at various water levels - the goal always being to avoid the slot at the top on the left and the cave at the bottom on the right.

Here is the lead-in



All in all another great day on the Kaweah. The only downside was that I was wearing poly-pro pants on under my dry suite; since we were biking our shuttle, I had to endure a 20 minute uphill ride in nothing but my skivies. I guess Sequoia National Park is always full of Euros, so I guess I did not look too out of place...


Our shuttle - slightly embarrassing, but effective

No comments: